Saturday, November 16, 2019

Sensory Profilee SIM Reflection


        Overall, I think my SIM encounter went well. I practiced several times prior to the simulation, reviewed my client’s evaluation thoroughly and took notes accordingly. I believe this helped me feel more confident delivering information to the client’s mother. I also worked to use the empathetic and active listening techniques we’ve discussed in class, like attempting to ask open ended questions, making eye contact and positioning myself closely to the client. While I did use some open-ended questions, if I had the chance to do it again, I would try to ask more of them to ensure that she fully understood what I was saying and also to help identify any concerns/questions she had. In our debrief discussion, we discussed how letting pauses in the conversation happen allow for the client to process things more and think of any questions they may want to ask to help clarify. I also would like to do this more, if I had the chance to do it again. In addition to this, I would have liked to clearly articulate that my relationship with the family was collaborative to let them know their opinion is valued and heard.
Showing empathy is extremely important in facilitating a positive, client-therapist relationship. One example of how a therapist can communicate a caring attitude is by responding kindly and thoughtfully to their expressed concerns, instead of brushing over them. For instance, if a parent says they are overwhelmed, instead of just continuing on with what you were saying, stopping and expressing that you understand and are there for them. By doing this, it lets the client know that their thoughts and feeling are being heard and that they have a role in the treatment plan, as well. Another way you can demonstrate, caring is by positioning; for instance, sitting close to the client and reviewing written information together on the same page. By doing this, it shows that you want them to feel comfortable with you and that you are in the treatment process as a team. This, again, helps the client feel heard and cared about.
            In the future, I will take what I have learned for this simulation and try to apply it in real life scenarios (on fieldwork and when I become a practitioner). A big part of pediatrics is often working with the families. When families are concerned and stressed out, it is essential to be able to show empathy and to clearly articulate your knowledge in an understandable and digestible way. In order to do this, I will work on preparing before I meet with clients’ families by doing things like thoroughly reviewing their chart and evaluations, thinking of alternative options for the family and thinking of understandable ways I can explain information to the family. I also will work on asking more open ended questions to encourage longer, meaningful responses from the client, as well as allowing for pauses for them to process the information. Ultimately, I am thankful for this experience and will take all of what I’ve learned forward with me!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Elizabeth Denton. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, india. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am also blessed and feel privileged and honoured to get connected with you as well as know you and about your interest in volunteering and studying occupational Therapy . It was educative to go through your blog post. I love getting connecte with the people of Gdd around the globe to be encoruaged strengthened and praying for ne another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 40 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with great contrast where richest of rich and the poorst of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with teh love of Chris to bring healing to the broknehearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time We would love to have you come to Mumbai to work with us during your vacation time. I am I am sure you will have a life changing experience. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. god's richest blessings on you your family and friends also wishing you a blessed and a Christ centered rest of the NEW YEAR 2020. mY EMAIL ID IS: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede.

    ReplyDelete

Post-Interview Reflection

  Overall, I felt my interview went well. While I did feel somewhat anxious, I believe I was still able to come up with thoughtful, honest r...